Menu Bar

Monday, December 9, 2013

Cookies of Christmas - Gingersnaps

When I was little, my mom didn't bake a lot, but at Christmas time she always made these gingersnaps. They were a favorite - especially for my Dad. Since I have moved out on my own, I make these cookies every year. Popping White Christmas into the DVD player and eating one of these cookies always takes me back. The amazing mix of spices and molasses gives these a great traditional flavor. If you like spice, you'll love these - they smell amazing too!

Gingersnaps



2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
3 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 350.
Start by combining your flour, salt, spices and baking soda in a medium sized bowl and place off to the side. I use a whisk to combine all the ingredients well.



Cream the shortening on medium speed with a mixer. Add sugar and mix until smooth. Stir in eggs and molasses.


Add the flour mixture slowly and continue mixing until all is combined. 

Roll dough into 1/2 inch balls. Roll in sugar to coat. I like to large sugar crystals or sanding sugar - which makes the finished cookies glitter!


Bake 8-10 minutes.

Remove to a rack and allow to cool.



These cookies freeze really well - up to 6 weeks in advance without losing their flavor. The original recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies and doubles really well. It's a great pick for a cookie exchange!

No comments:

Post a Comment