Menu Bar

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Apricot Jam


Thanks to a week off of work, I was finally able to make it to the Wednesday morning auction and market held in our neighborhood town. As soon as I saw these gorgeous apricots, I knew that some jam was in my near future. Many of my friends who don't can regularly, are intimidated by jam making. I've found though that this basic jam receipe is extremely easy to make, can be used with almost any fruit and sets up nicely every time. While you could also make apricot jelly or preserves, jam has always been my personal no fuss favorite.

Apricot Jam (makes about 12 half pints)
4 quarts fresh apricots (makes about 7 cups prepared fruit)
5 tb lemon juice
8 tb pectin (I use Ball RealFruit Classic Pectin)
6 cups sugar
 
Start by preparing your canning jars and fruit. I start by boiling 2 large pots of water on the stove. In one, boil your canning jars (I reccomend prepping a few extra just in case - you'll appreciate this later when you need them!) to sterlize them. Invert on a clean towel until ready to use.

 
 
In the second pot, place 5 or 6 pieces of fruit in the boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Run a sink full of cold water. Transfer the apricots from the boiling water into the cold water. The fruit skin should peel off easily - I find with apricots I barely even need a knife using this method. If the skin does not remove easily, place back in the boiling water for another 30 seconds. Once peeled, cut the fruit into halves. Remove the pits and stem pieces. Repeat until all fruit has been peeled and prepared.

Place the prepared fruit in a large, thick bottomed pot. I use an enameled cast iron soup pot. Add the lemon juice to the fruit. Stir in the pectin. Over medium heat, bring the fruit to a strong rolling boil. Stir in the sugar and bring back to a rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute.




Working quickly, transfer the jam to the prepared canning jars. Process the jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes at boiling. Turn off the heat, and allow to sit in the water for another 5 minutes before removing.


 All homemade jams make excellent Christmas presents for friends, neighbors and co-workers. I like to gift mine with a few recipe cards with ideas for using the jam. He's a great receipe for a slow cooker apricot chicken:

In a slow cooker add 4-6 frozen chicken breasts, thighs, quarters or even a whole chicken. Over the chicken, pour 1 small jar of apricot jam or preserves and 1 packet of onion soup mix, 1/2 cup chicken stock, 2 tb apple cider vinegar. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve with rice.



 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment