Menu Bar

Friday, August 16, 2013

How Ina Garten Ruined Powder Sugar Frosting for me Forever

I've always been one to make my own homemade frosting, but until recently I thought the good old powdered sugar, butter and milk method was the way to go. If I was really feeling decadent, I'd jazz it up with some peanut butter or cocoa powered (or both!)

Then, Ina Garten ruined me for frosting forever. I happened to be catching some rainy day tv while cutting coupons and watch as she made an amazing chocolate wedding cake with chocolate butter cream frosting. I had never before tried a recipe using egg whites to add volume and texture to frosting. I could not wait to try this frosting out!

While Ina's orignal receipe is not overly complicated, I was looking to simplify the concept just a bit. I ended up with a 4 ingredient variation that was sweet, light, airy and absolutely delicious. Now, while I certainly could (and did) eat this frosting right out of the bowl, I do recommend using it to actually...well you know...frost something. This recipe does make quite a bit batch of frosting. Chocolate cake was my frosting vehicle of choice for this round - I was able to stack and frost 2 nine inch rounds with plenty of frosting to spare.This frosting would look divine piled on chocolate cupcakes using a decorators tip and a frosting bag.



No Powder Sugar Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
4 room temperature egg whites
12oz Semisweet or Dark Chocolate Chips
1lb (4 sticks) room temperature butter
1 cup granulated sugar

Before you start - trust me on this one - make sure your egg whites and butter are REALLY room temperature. I know you want frosting now, but not doing this will leave you with egg whites that won't whip up correctly or chunks of butter in your frosting.

Start by separating out your egg whites and mix on medium until you have soft peaks - a "whisk" attachment uses bet for this if you have it. While your egg whites are processing, melt chocolate chips in the microwave (or double boiler). I always had bad luck with chocolate in the microwave, until I realized that patience is the only way to get it done. Microwave for 30 seconds to start and then keep microwaving, checking and stirring every 5-7 seconds until fully melted. Perhaps it's my microwave, but even 10 seconds at a time for me leads to burned chocolate. You may need to repeat the 5 second cycle for another minute or so, but it's better than ending up with gross chunky chocolate.

Once melted, set the chocolate aside while you finish the egg whites. At the soft peak stage, add you sugar to the whites gradually. Continue beating on medium speed until still peaks forms when you lift your beater out of the mixer. Now add in butter 1 tablespoon at a time - again trust me on this. Beat in between each add to smooth in the butter. Pour in chocolate and continue mixing until totally combined.

Now, just try to not eat all your frosting before you can get it onto it's destination. You will also be a powder sugar frosting convert. Thanks Ina...


No comments:

Post a Comment