Menu Bar

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Spring Garden

There is nothing that says Spring like getting out there and digging in the garden. It's definitely a labor of love (emphasis on the labor) and people either love it or it's not for them. 

My husband Eric and I got bit by the gardening bug about 4 years ago. I had suggested a small flower bed in a section of the yard next to the house which at one time had been his grandmother's flower bed. Little did I know when I let the guys take over the digging that I would end up with a huge multi-tiered rock wall garden monstrosity complete with a 9 foot waterfall.

Of course, if you can't tell by my pictures, I fell in absolute love with both my garden and the time I spent in it. There is definitely a type of therapy, after a long and trying day, in yanking out weeds, digging holds and making beautiful things of roots and seeds. 

It's been a beautiful, sunny, hot may and my garden is already in peak bloom. Here are some of my favorite pictures from my spring garden:

The first full year in the garden, eager to start planting annuals, we bought 2 flats of spring pansies.  We now have these miniature perennial pansies that come up everywhere all on their own. You can't see it in these photos, but they appear in all shades of purple, yellow, orange, white, burgundy and blue. My theory is they may have cross-bred with some of the perennial Johnny Jump-ups a friend gave us for the garden. I know that pansies can be somewhat perennial, but all my gardening friends are amazed at the extend to which mine come back every year.

These adorable angel statues were a gift from my husband and grace our porch garden.

My transplanted chocolate mint and newly planted mint garden. (I love edibles gardens - such a great combination of beauty, sustainability and function).
This lovely blue phlox bring great color to spring.

Hybrid Iris. A good family friend was helping a neighbor thin out their garden came away with these which he shared with us for our garden.
Poppies, Alliums and Iris make for a bright early garden.







No comments:

Post a Comment