Menu Bar

Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Fabulous and Versatile Herb

A couple years ago a I picked up a really great book on edible landscaping. I was extremely inspired by the emphasis of used of plants for both beauty and function. It's hard to argue that many types of plants do this better than herbs. Store bought herbs are expensive. Growing your own herbs gives you an easy way to boost the flavor on every meal and save money. Most herbs are also extremely easy to grow and easy to care for. Many are perennial and almost all benefit from frequent cutting. On top of all this - herbs make for attractive garden plants mixed in among your other perennials. Here's a few of my favorites:
While perhaps not the most commonly used herb in my garden, I love the aesthetics of this perennial sage and it's beautiful little purple flowers. I do love placing fresh sage leaves in pitchers of water for a very refreshing summer drink. I'm also always sure to dry plenty of sage leaves in the late summer and fall for use all winter long - particularly with roast chicken, turkey and stuffing.

I use this flat leaf parsley (also perennial!) in lots of summer salads, marinades and as a garnish. It adds that great summer green color and freshness without overpowering a dish.
I have been amazed by the recent explosion in different varieties of mint available in local nurseries. It's not just sweet mint or spearmint anymore. I have recently seen blackberry mint, lemon mint, mojito mint, lime mint, orange mint, grapefruit mint, pineapple mint...etc. This has recently inspired me to start my own mint garden. Please keep in mind when planting mint - it is extremely invasive - so I would never recommend planting in your regular garden. I recommend container planting - or as I have done, planing it's own dedicated raised bed. Mint is great in many meals, but I like brewing fresh sun tea infused with leaves from my chocolate mint plant (yes ...it really tastes like chocolate and mint!)
Chives are by first the most used herb in my garden. They add beautiful green color and onion flavor to lots of dished - cold and hot alike. I add them to pasta and potato salads, use them as garnishes from everything from deviled eggs to mashed potato, and even like to nibble on them raw.  These are extremely prolific - they grow wild at my house in addition to in my garden and are extremely easy to grow perennially. The beautiful purple flowers they produce are just a bonus. However - if you plan to use the herbs for cooking - I recommend pinching off all the blooms as they start to form. I find if chives are allowed to flower, the green stalks become woody and unappetizing - however the flowers are edible if you'd like to try them. I keep one large plant in my herb wheel which I cut from generously to keep it from flowering and then let other plants in my garden flower.  
The flavor of dill is unmistakable. I use this heavily in canning. I also like to make salad dressings using mayonnaise, fresh garlic and dill along with other herbs. I also love the look of dill when it flowers - I always tuck some in my porch garden just for this purpose.
Many use lemon balm for medicinal purposes - it's long said to treat indigestion - or as a tea herb. I love it for it's fresh lemony scent and bright green bushy appearance. Once of my favorite practical uses is filling cheesecloth with fresh lemon balm and lavender and putting in a hot bath as a "bath tea". The smell is heavenly and very relaxing!

There is no way I could tackle every amazing herb there is out there. Just like the uses for herbs, the options are almost endless. These are just a few of my favorites - what are yours?






No comments:

Post a Comment