Menu Bar

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Hubby's Favorite Cinnamon Rolls

 

I have to admit - the power I gain over my husband with a little baking tends to go to my head. Of course this also means I have a hard time refusing him when he makes a special request. My husband has been begging for my homemade cinnamon rolls for a couple weeks, but it's been a bit crazy around the house. The long holiday weekend end has given me some extra time to whip up a batch for my hubby and gain a little power...this should earn me at least a few items on the honey do list!

Hubby's Favorite Cinnamon Rolls

Dough:
5 to 5 1/2 cups flour
1 Tb (1 packet) dry active yeast
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt

Filling
6 Tb butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp brown sugar

Glaze:
1 cup powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Milk (enough to make glaze consistency to drizzle)

Place flour and yeast in a large mixer bowl. In a saucepan on the stove, heat the 1 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and salt until mixture is warm and butter is almost melted (130-140 degrees).

Pour milk mixture into the flour. Mix with an electric mixer about 30 seconds on medium speed. Cover with flour shield or a kitchen towel (trust me on this) and them mix another 3 minutes on high. Turing speed down to low, add flour by the spoonful until all but about 3/4 or 1/2 cup has been added. Now either using your mixer's dough hook attachment or your hands and a floured surface, knead for 3 to 5 minutes mixing in the leftover flour as needed to get the right consistency.

One tip on using your stand mixer to knead the dough. I've found that I have the best results with consistency if I knead for the required amount of time with my stand mixer (5 minutes in this case) and then knead for an additional minute by hand adding some extra flour. Whatever method you use, don't worry too much if you have to add a bit of additional flour.


 
Grease a large kitchen bowl (you can use your mixer bowl if you clean and dry it first) with shortening or cooking spray. Place dough in the bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. During this time it should double in size. Dough is ready when you can gently press 2 fingers into the top and dough will return to original shape.



 
Punch down the dough and break into 2 even sections. Roll out first section on a floured cutting board or other surface into a large rectangle - about 12x8. Rub dough with 3 tb of the butter. Combine cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle half the mixture over the roll. Roll dough into a log and cut into 8 slices.
 
Place slices on a large cookie sheet, allowing room between each for additional spreading. Repeat with second section of dough.
Cover rolls with a towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes until about doubled in size. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
 
Once baked, move the cinnamon rolls to wire racks to cool. Mix your glaze ingredients together. While rolls are still warm, drizzle with glaze.
 
I find these are best enjoyed when still warm from the oven. My husband agrees!



No comments:

Post a Comment